Thursday, October 29, 2009

Self-Anaylsis Post

From what I can gather, this blog project is not only about the topic we choose, but how we research and convey our arguments for our topic. I learned early on in the project that the research I do and feedback I receive could alter my thoughts on my topic. After a comment about water vapor on my first blog post, I discovered that my preconceived notions were not completely true. Sure, everyone learns that carbon dioxide gas and CFCs (chlorofluorocarbons) are bad, and they are, but water vapor is rarely discussed. For me personally, before this blog I had never heard of water vapor as a greenhouse gas, let alone it being the most abundant greenhouse gas. I now know that water vapor is the most abundant yet also the most important greenhouse gas. I’ve learned that water vapor is important to our climate in how Earth is heated and cooled. Also, water vapor is a very naturally occurring gas. In terms of arguments against going green, I’m learning that religious groups are starting to get involved. A friend who is an environmental major told me about a church, Vineyard Boise, which broke the barrier between environmentalism and the church. Once he finished his sermon, the congregation applauded him with a standing ovation. This is proof that the religious world is warming up to the idea of environmentalism, which could catapult the interest and therefore the service put towards going green/global warming. Also, I’ve never really known a lot about paybacks, but I have heard people talking about how going green was so expensive and you would never get your payback. I explored this in some of my previous posts. In terms of a hybrid car, the tax credits that can be received combined with high gas prices and the make and model of the car does create a payback ranging from large to small. Two examples are the Saturn Aura Green Line Hybrid and the Mazda Tribute Hybrid FWD. The Aura has a 19.3 year payback rating while the Tribute has a much lower rating of 1.3 years to payback. It all depends on the car. In my posts, I have researched and included green tips, which are teaching me new ways to do little things to help out the environment. I think these tips can be beneficial to anyone that reads them.

In creating an argument, it’s important to fully research the topic in order to have a full understanding. Also, having done research allows you to provide informative responses to comments that may be placed on your blog.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad that you were willing to change your views on the greenhouse gases involving water vapor. However, it seems as though you rarely talk about this in your blog outside of this and you second post. Is there any particular reason for this? I assume you are just so for going green in your blog that talking about things like water vapor would hinder your argument. Also what do you think of my arguments on natural global warming?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I talked about global warming in my beginning posts so my readers would have a basic idea of what global warming is. My blog was mainly about the arguments against going green as in why people wouldn't go green, so I focused more on those aspects. As for natural global warming, I'm all for that idea, I just think humans are speeding it along.

    ReplyDelete