Wednesday, October 14, 2009

What is global warming?

I don't remember where exactly I found this picture, because I saved it a long time ago, but I just think it's funny :)

I thought I would go over exactly what global warming is. The website I mentioned in a previous post, www.epa.gov/climatechange, defines it as "an average increase in the temperature of the atmosphere near the Earth's surface and in the troposphere, which can contribute to changes in global climate patterns. Global warming can occur from a variety of causes, both natural and human induced. In common usage, "global warming" often refers to the warming that can occur as a result of increased emissions of greenhouse gases from human activities." Some keywords in this definition are climate, natural, human, emission, and greenhouse gases. We usually hear about global warming changing the climate of our atmosphere, and that's true. What we don't usually hear is that global warming is a naturally occuring phenomenon, like an Ice Age (some scientists speculate that global warming will cause an Ice Age). Humans are just helping it along. Our greenhouse gas emissions are speeding up the process. According to an executive report from 2007 looking at information from the pre-industrial era up until 2005, the greenhouse gas percentages of CO2, CH4, and N2O have all risen between eighteen and 148% (CH4). This is why going green is so important. Some people think that there is no use in going green because one little person can't change a thing, but that's wrong. While I was still at home and fussing at my parents for not unplugging their phone chargers, my dad would fuss back at me, telling me that one little charger wouldn't make a difference. If we all have that attitude, nothing really will get done. If we all do our part to be green, we can make a difference.

Green Tip Number 3: Everyone loves a drive-thru. Next time you go through one, park your car and go in to order. Idling in drive-thru lines causes you to use more fuel, which uses up more of Earth's fossil fuels. Also, you'll come out cheaper because you'll be spending less money on gas, not to mention taking a few extra steps toward working off that Big Mac!

No comments:

Post a Comment