Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Go Green!

I remember one day at the cell phone store where I used to work that I plugged up a phone, a Motorola VE20 to be exact, to a wall outlet. When it had completed charging, a little message popped up that said something like "Battery Full. Please unplug charger to conserve energy." I got so excited and rambled on to my customer, who thankfully happened to be a friend of mine (so she didn't think I was a crazy lunatic) and my coworkers in the store how wonderful that was. You see, I am all for going green. Where I come from, aka Hick Town, nobody recycles and no one really knows anything about global warming, let alone cares about it. Through my awesome, House-esque Biology teacher, I saw Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth in the 10th grade. While those who have seen it can probably agree with me in that the movie seems just a tad bit dramatic, you can probably also agree with me that it scared you a little bit. An Inconvenient Truth is what started me loving the environment and thinking about what I can do to help it. Also, it has made me want help others love it too. This whole idea of "going green" is talked about in “modern” areas, but does anyone really know what it entails? Through this blog, I plan to investigate going green and how to do so. Also, I plan to explore arguments against going green. An example of this is the fact that some people don’t see global warming as a real threat, or they don’t see it as real, period. So, these people also don’t see the importance of going green. You get my drift? Basically, I want to explore the argument of the reality of global warming.

Go Green Tip Numero Uno: At the bottom of each of my posts will be a green tip. So look here on every post and really seriously try to work on incorporating it into your daily routine! So here’s the first one-unplug phone chargers, hair dryers, and lamps, etc. when you’re not using them. It helps conserve energy!

3 comments:

  1. I too saw Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth in the tenth grade. It does seem like an eyeopening video. If another eyeopening experience had not happened to me, I might would still believe him. However, later that same year, I interviewed one of the founders of the Environmental Protection Agency, Charles Hosler, and he told me that Al Gore was drastically stretching the truth about Global Warming. Hosler told me that 95% of greenhouse gas contributions come from water vapor, not carbon dioxide. I would recommend you to http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/greenhouse_data.html which is a site I found that tells about water vapor and to keep up with my blog where I will shortly discuss the effects of water vapor myself. Also the EPA's site http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/glossary.html#W For this one, scroll down to the bottom where it talks about water vapor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Overall a well-written article. Starting with an anecdote to keep readers interested, and then introducing your topic and your position is an extremely effective style. I believe the tips at the end of each blog are a good idea because they keep the readers interested, and provide ways to help our environment and save money, even if there is no actual global warming. Be sure to use lots of numbers and statistics to prove your point, and don't forget to look at the other side and see if global warming is actually being exaggerated. I found these sites about global warming that talk about it in general and also show how our environment has changed.
    http://www.climatehotmap.org/
    http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/science/topics/globalwarming/index.htm
    I hope these sites help and I am interested to learn about the reality of global warming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iron Man: Thank you so much for your input! I had NO idea that water vapor was even a factor! I checked out the websites you gave me and I'll be sure to check out your blog as well!

    Seven: Thanks for your input, I'll try and put in some numbers to my next posts. Keep checking back for more green tips! :)

    ReplyDelete