Saturday, October 17, 2009

Driving: Green Style

In my last post, the green tip was about driving habits, so I thought I would look into global warming/going green as it pertains to vehicles. I drive a 2002, four-wheel drive, six cylinder Ford Escape. Http://www.fueleconomy.gov/ allows you to search for your car and find out estimated miles per gallon, annual fuel cost, carbon footprint and air pollution score for your car. According to the aforementioned website, my car, which I absolutely love, gets about 16 mpg city and 22 mpg highway, which averages out to about 18.4 mpg. With gas at its current rate, it costs me about $3.58 to drive twenty-five miles, totaling an average fuel cost per year of $2152. After I found out all of this information, I found out that I use about 19 barrels of gas per year, my car has a 10.2 carbon footprint (which is a little over half of the scale when compared to other cars), and my air pollution score is two, ten being the best. I get stunned by all of this information more and more each day. I knew my car was no hybrid, but I didn't think it was as bad as it was. While it's simply not feasible to go out and buy a new car, there are always things anyone can do to conserve fuel. Like I said in my last green tip, you can avoid idling in the drive-thru and walk in to order. Another thing to do is avoid being a “lead foot.” I like to drive fast down back roads just like any other person, but statistics show that optimum fuel economy per speed is at 60 mph. You can keep your tires pumped up to keep gas mileage up and carpool or use public transportation to avoid how often you use your own car/gas. These solutions will all help to reduce gas usage, which cuts down on CO2 emissions, which helps, no matter how small, in the fight against global warming.

Green Tip Numéro Quatre: Many large stores like Target or Wal-Mart offer reusable bags to buy for fifty cents to a dollar. Skip the candy bar while you’re waiting in line and buy one of these bags instead. Reusing these bags reduces plastic usage. Also, they’re more durable than plastic bags and they hold more too. Just don’t forget to bring your bag(s) with you when you go shopping!

6 comments:

  1. First I must correct the fact that it's quatro not quatre, probably a typo so it's ok. I like your info about how to save gas with your car though. I am certainly guilty of "flooring it", so I can only imagine how much more of a carbon footprint I am leaving than I would be if I were driving in a more economical way. Also I found this really cool car I think you should check out. It's "an electric car with attitude". Sweet looking right now but it's the concept car of course and rarely does the real thing look as awesome as the concept, but it still has potential.
    http://www.gizmag.com/ewolf-e2-electric-sportscar/13107/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also know that I tend to "rev my engine" and "floor it" :). However, I have a voltswagon beetle and it has about 36-40 miles per gallon. I think that people should be more conscious, when they select cars to buy, of the miles per gallon that a car gets. I know that they usually do notice it because of economical reasons, but these huge vehicles that have horrible gas mileage waste gas. The funny thing is people still buy them...I also found a pretty cool hydro-concept car. http://www.tuvie.com/search/hydro+concept+cars

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually I was going for French this time, not Spanish, so it would be quatre. The car is pretty cool looking and it sounds like a cool idea. I think we're heading in the direction of creating more electrically powered vehicles, especially with our fossil fuels getting more and more depleted every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. tarheel5: Even with your VW Beetle that gets good gas mileage, you'll get better mileage if you don't floor it. But you're right, people knowingly buy vehicles that get bad gas mileage. I think people should do research beforehand on efficieny of cars that they might consider buying. I wish I had done my research on how my car would affect the environment before I got it because I may have opted for something smaller and more environmentally friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Considering my car is older than I am (1986 Volvo), I know its mpg is not great*. As such I never rev my engine and I try to put it in neutral as much as possible. I assume that putting it in neutral is beneficial, but I don't know for sure.

    *The manual doesn't list the mpg and the odometer is broken so I can't measure it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kudos for not revving your engine. Also, I wish I could tell you a for sure answer to whether or not driving in neutral is good, but I can't. I've been looking at different sources and asking people about putting your car in netural. I've read and heard good and bad responses. Most of them have been good though, stating that putting your car in neutral does give better gas mileage. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete